I’m not a vegetarian but I love eating vegetarian dishes! I sometimes I debate changing to a vegetarian lifestyle but I’m not quite there yet….maybe soon, we shall see!
To celebrate World Vegetarian Day, I decided to make my beloved tacos from my favourite vegetarian restaurant Fresh. Fresh founders Ruth Tal and Jennifer Houston have released 5 cookbooks which include food from their restaurant and when they released their most recent cookbook, Super Fresh, I was ecstatic to find their squash taco recipe in there! Today I decided to go with the tofu version of the tacos since I already had it on hand and the recipes for the tofu is featured in Ruth and Jennifer’s Refresh cookbook.
Marinated Tofu (Enough for two blocks of tofu)
- 3-1/2 cups plain tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup tamari (aka gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1-1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
Crispy Tofu Coating
- 1 cup flaked nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup wheat germ (I used organic breadcrumbs since I was out of wheat germ)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Jalapeño Lime Sauce (Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.)
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 jalapeño
Additional Taco Ingredients:
- 8 small (about 6 inches) whole wheat tortillas
- 4 cups shredded kale
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions for Crispy Tofu
- Cut the tofu in medium-sized cubes.
- Mix vinegar, tamari, water and oil thoroughly in a large bowl and pour over tofu cubes.
- Marinate for one hour. Note: Left over tofu and marinade can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Combine all ingredients for Crispy Tofu Coating in a ziplock bag and shake to mix well.
- Separate out about 1/4 of the coating mix in a bowl to start since the recipe makes more than enough.
- Toss the tofu in the mixture to coat it using a spoon.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan.
- Fry on each side until cubes are crispy and brown.
Fill your tortilla with tofu, kale, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and drizzle jalapeño lime sauce and enjoy!